Artrepreneur allows its Members to offer limited edition and original art & design in a variety of categories, mediums, and styles for sale. It is Artrepreneur’s intention that selling artwork on Artrepreneur, will allow you to reach a wide audience of potential buyers and art collectors throughout the world.
Presently, there are two ways a Member can sell artwork:
- Marketplace: Pro Members may make their artwork for sale in the Artrepreneur Marketplace, which includes all artwork for sale on Artrepreneur. Members and visitors can filter the Marketplace work by category/subcategory, price, or by using search terms so they can more easily find the types of artwork that they wish to purchase.
- Showrooms: Pro Members may also list artwork within a Showroom, a dedicated store that only lists specific artwork from a Pro Member Account that is already available for sale in the Marketplace. For more details, see “What is a Showroom.”
Pro Members: Pro Members will pay NO COMMISSION in any sale, regardless of which payment method you choose or whether your sale is through the Marketplace or your Showroom. Artrepreneur is able to extend this pricing structure to you by virtue of you being a Pro Member and paying Artrepreneur a $12 monthly or $108 yearly (25% savings) fee. Please see Artrepreneur’s Terms of Service and Artrepreneur’s Pricing Page for more information. Pro Members may choose from two different payment methods, Direct or PayPal.
For more information see the Marketplace and Showroom sections of our Help Center.
- Please note that there may be a transaction or other fees, depending upon the payment method. Credit card fees are generally paid for by the seller. For escrow.com, there is a small transaction fee, paid as a percentage of the price of the artwork purchased. Please see the escrow.com fee calculator to determine the costs.
Free Members (Basic Plan): Artwork added to the Marketplace by Basic Plan Members prior to January 24, 2021 may continue to sell those works using escrow.com as the payment processor for transactions consummated via the Platform from which Artrepreneur will receive a 10% commission from the Artist or Organization. Basic Plan Members WILL NOT be able to add any additional Artwork to the Marketplace without upgrading to a Pro Membership. Additionally, if an Artwork from Basic Plan Members is removed from the Marketplace, it cannot be added to the Marketplace again without the Member upgrading to a Pro Plan. Artrepreneur reserves the right to discontinue Basic Member Plan sales.
Note: Only the admin of the work can make it available for sale or change its details. Contributors, while having the work available on their Artwork area and can add the work to portfolios, they cannot add the work to the Marketplace or a Showroom. (See “Becoming a Contributor to a Work”).
II. ELIGIBLE ARTWORK
What Can Be Listed for Sale
- Original, physical, works of fine art.
- Fine art prints in numbered editions of 50 or less with a Certificate of Authenticity that legally enforces the editions.
- You must be the copyright holder, authoprized agent, or assignee of uploaded artwork to list it for sale in the Marketplace or Showroom. Artrepreneur may require proof that you are a duly authorized agent or assignee, which may include verifying your identity and proof of ownership or legal right to sell the artwork on behalf of the artist or creator. Artrepreneur has the sole discretion to determine what shall be sufficient proof.
What Cannot Be Listed For Sale
- Public Domain Works
- Secondary resales are not permitted by individuals, however, organizations, such as galleries, with the rights to sell artwork may do so.
- Supplies (such as yarn, beads, canvas, paints, books, patterns, tools, etc.) may not be listed.
- Services are not allowed to be listed in the Marketplace or a Showroom but should, instead, use our Sertvices feature.
- Mass-produced or commercially crafted works.
- It is best if a seller can create their items entirely with their own hands. However, Artrepreneur acknowledges that this is prohibitive for certain types of artwork. (i.e. printing of your digital artwork, or metal casting from your handmade mold). However, these works must be limited editions of 50 or less.
- When a third-party vendor is involved in artwork creation, Artrepreneur encourages you to send a Contributor Request from the artwork s detail page so that the vendor can be listed as a contributor.
- Non visual artist works, such as real estate and motor vehicles (automobiles, motorcycles, boats, etc.),
- Digital-only items
- Legally prohibited items for online sales, such as alcohol, tobacco, drugs, working Firearms and/or weapons, etc.
III. DESCRIBE YOUR ITEMS ACCURATELY
To ensure that potential buyers have the requisite information about an artwork to make a purchase, Artrepreneur recommends adding as many details as possible to your artwork. Please review the Image Upload Guidelines before uploading Artwork. (i.e. do not upload multiple images of the same work or uncropped works) Failure to do so could result in its removal.
After uploading your atwork, an Artwork Detail Page will be created where you can add the relevant details. On the Artwork’s detail page, you’ll find content areas, such as:
- Materials used
- Copyright information
While the information listed above is the minimum required, it is a “best practice” to add as many details as possible about you and your work as many buyers will evaluate your entire profile to ensure that purchasing your work is the right investment. An accurate and thoughtful profile and detailed artwork descriptions can mean the difference between a sale or the buyer choosing a work by another artist.
IV. ADDING ARTWORK TO THE MARKETPLACE
To add a work to the Marketplace, click the “Sell this Artwork” button to open the Marketplace Popup where you will find additional content areas, such as:
- Payment method
- Additional detail (i.e. shipping methods or whether the work is framed or unframed.
Special Consideration for Multiple Sizes: Uploading multiple images of the same work is not allowed EXCEPT when you are selling multiple sizes of the same work. Currently, Artrepreneur does not have a mechanism for selling artworks in multiple sizes from the same artwork detail page. In this situation - AND ONLY in this situation - you may upload the same work to create another artwork detail page containing the same work.
However, we suggest adding the size to the title so that potential buyers, and our reviewers, can easily see the difference between the two listed items. Failure to do so could inadvertently lead to one of the Works being deleted.
Editions: Currently, you may only sell single original works or limited edition works on Artrepreneur. You should choose the number of editions available when you add the work to the Marketplace. The editions available will be shown on the Artwork Detail Page and on the Showroom detail page.
If your artwork is sold through Artrepreneur using PayPal, the edition number will decrease automatically.
If you use the Direct Payment option, outside of the Platform, you should manually reduce the number of editions by clicking the “Update Sale Details” button on the Artwork Detail Page. When the editions reach 0, the artwork will be marked as “Sold.” The Artwork will still remain in the Marketplace or Showroom so that anyone wishing to see if you have similar works available will be able to find them easily.
Artwork added to the Marketplace or Showroom must bsold for at least $50.00 USD. Please be aware that you will have certain fixed costs, such as printing, shipping or transaction fees from payment providers, such as PayPal, and credit card companies. Please price your Artwork so that you do not end up owing more in fees than you are receiving from your sale.
Please review the following additional pricing requirements:
- Accurate Pricing. Your artwork and shipping price must be an accurate reflection of its value. Inaccurate or inflated pricing can affect all of our Members by eroding the overall confidence of buyers and collectors when looking for potential artwork to purchase.
- Artrepreneur may request additional documentation to verify the value of an artwork, such as an appraisal or proof that similar or analogous artwork created by the artist sold at comparable rates. If we believe artwork is priced at a level inconsistent with market values or added for reasons other than a genuine attempt to sell the artwork on the Platform, it may be removed without notice at our sole discretion.
- PayPal limits artwork purchases to below $10,000 USD. If you choose to use PayPal as your payment method for an artwork, you will not be able to add a price above $10,000. If your artwork is above $10,000, only the Direct payment method will be available..
Artrepreneur merely acts as a means to link up buyers and sellers. As such, we are able to offer no commissions so that you, the artist, can keep the proceeds from your creative talent. This also means that we are not involved in the shipping or your works.
You, the seller, are responsible for both setting the shipping price and packing and shipping your artwork (or in the event a return, a buyer). Please be sure to pack your artwork appropriately and carefully with adequate packaging so it arrives undamaged. Please note, Artrepreneur accepts no risk of loss in connection with a seller failing to adequately package their artwork. All such issues should be resolved solely between the buyer and seller. (Please see “I have a problem with my purchase”).
A shipping cost is added on the Marketplace Popup and will appear on the Artwork Detail page and Showroom Detail page.
Artrepreneur understands that you may not know the shipping costs because you do not know the location before someone purchases your art. You will need to estimate a cost based on the size, weight and/or location that will cover the costs. (See Calculating Shipping Costs.)
Artrepreneur recommends that you insure all artwork sold through the Platform. Most shippers, including Escrow.com’s approved carriers, will allow you to take out insurance to protect against artwork damaged in shipment.
You may want to contact your shipper before setting a price for your artwork so that the price includes any insurance fees. However, the maximum insurance available may not cover the entire value of the artwork. For example, FedEx only permits a maximum declared value of up to $1,000 for artwork. If the artwork is more than the maximum insurance amount from your shipping carrier, you may want to consider a supplemental insurance policy or check your homeowner’s insurance policy to see if the value of shipped artwork is included.
VII. HOW DO I GET PAID?
Artrepreneur does not process payment transactions. Your payments are processed through whichever payment processor you choose (i.e. PayPal). You will control your own payment processing account. For sales made using PayPal on Artrepreneur, you will get paid directly from PayPal to your Paypal Business Account and subject to PayPal’s service terms and conditions. (See Receiving Payments from PayPal).
If using Escrow.com, you can specify your preferred disbursement method when you set up your Escrow.com account or can decide the method for each transaction. Once all terms of the transaction have been completed and verified, Escrow.com will pay you using your preferred disbursement method, with Artrepreneur’s 10% fee removed on applicable Marketplace sale transactions prior to disbursing the money to you. Please note that you will pay additional transaction fees to the credit card company, however, the escrow.com transaction fee will be paid by the buyer.
- Note that escrow.com is no longer available for works added to the Marketplace after January 24, 2021.
VIII. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT
As further set out in our Terms, Artrepreneur cannot review every listing on the Platform so Artrepreneur relies on you to help Artrepreneur know if someone is listing an item that violates our Terms. If you believe your rights are being infringed upon, or have discovered a member violating our Terms, we encourage you to contact Artrepreneur at our Contact Page, or if you are the copyright holder of the work may initiate a DMCA takedown to have the work removed.
Please note as further set out in our Terms of Service, intellectual property reports should not be used maliciously or to harass other users. Artrepreneur reserves the right to delete any Member Account that uses the reporting system for anything other than its intended use or in bad faith.
As further set out below and in the Terms of Service, Artrepreneur reserves the right to remove any artwork that does not adhere to these Marketplace and Showroom Rules or otherwise violate the Terms. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments about the removal of any artwork, you may contact Artrepreneur via our Contact Page
IX. ADDITIONAL TERMS
These Marketplace and Showroom Guidelines are incorporated into Artrepreneur’s Terms of Service. By using Artrepreneur, you’re agreeing to these guidelines and the Terms. Capitalized terms used but not defined herein have the respective meanings ascribed to such terms in the Artrepreneur Terms of Service.
All items offered for sale on Artrepreneur are subject to Artrepreneur’s staff review on a case-by-case basis. If Artrepreneur determines that any item is in violation of these Marketplace and Showroom Rules or any other Policies, the item may be hidden or removed from Artrepreneur at our sole discretion.
X. CONTACT INFORMATION
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments about this Arbitration Policy, you may contact Artrepreneur via our Contact Page or by mail to Orangenius Inc., DBA Artrepreneur, 511 Ave of the Americas, Suite #934, New York, NY 10011.
Last Updated: January 25, 2021